It was a pleasure to cook this award-winning Sea Bass dish with Kat Cowen from BBC Radio Sheffield, we’ll be walking through the recipe live on air, Saturday morning at 9 am on the 15th of April.
Below is the recipe for you. Sea Bass & chorizo are so sexy together, a great combination of flavors. Enjoy.Print
Sea Bass & Chorizo crust, are so SEXY together. An award-winning dish. Served with aubergine gateau, basil pesto & oven-dried tomatoes.
1kg Sea bass into fillets with the skin off.
1 x pack baby plum tomatoes
3 sprigs of thyme
S & P
Balsamic glaze (optional)
Chorizo crust recipe
1 firm chorizo ring
100–150ml double cream
2–4 slices of white bread, crust off
1/2 onion or 1 shallot
small handful of parsley
S & P
Aubergine gateau recipe
3 x aubergines
1 clove of garlic
1 small piece of ginger
200ml double cream
medium curry powder
S & P
2–3 packs of basil
1 x packs parsley
100–200ml Extra Virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic
30 grams of toasted pine nuts
10 grams of grated parmesan
S & P
- Firstly make the chorizo crust by taking off the skin from the chorizo, and dice the onion, chorizo, and white bread with the crust off. Add all the chorizo crust ingredients into a blender and blitz all together in a powerful blender until smooth. Check for consistency, it wants to be firm to the touch. If slightly wet or dry, add more bread or cream to adjust the consistency.
- Roll out a piece of cling film on a surface, add the chorizo crust mix, add a layer of cling film on top, and roll out with a rolling pin until thin. Play in the fridge until firm.
- Blitz all of the basil pesto ingredients to make the basil pesto. Check the seasoning.
- Slice the baby plum tomatoes in half onto a tray with a little greaseproof underneath. Chop the thyme and sprinkle over, add a little olive oil, S & P. Oven dry in the oven at 160c for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the aubergine gateau by slicing 12 ring slices of aubergine and dice up the remaining aubergine. Dice into brunoise (fine dice) the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook the onion, garlic & ginger gently in a little oil in a pan until soft. Add the diced aubergine and cook for a few minutes. Mix in the curry powder with the cream and add to the pan, cook for a further 3-5 minutes until cooked. be careful that it does not stick to the pan. check the seasoning and set aside.
- Cook the aubergine rings in olive oil in a frying pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Assemble the aubergine gateau by placing 1 aubergine ring into a metal ring, add 1 tbsp of the aubergine mix, add another aubergine ring then 1 more tbsp of the mix, and add the final aubergine ring. Repeat to make 4 portions.
- Portion the seabass into 4, and cut out the correct size of chorizo crust to place on top of each sea bass fillet. On a tray add a little oil, season, and place the sea bass with chorizo onto it.
- Heat up the aubergine gateau in an oven for 15-20 minutes at 170c.
- Grill the sea bass and chorizo crust under the grill for 4-7 minutes until golden and cooked.
- Assemble the hot aubergine gateau onto the middle of a plate. add the oven-dried tomatoes around. Add around to decorate the basil pesto. Pour some balsamic syrup around if using. place the sea bass and chorizo crust on top of the aubergine gateau, serve hot, and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 30-45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Modern British
Keywords: Sea Bass, Chorizo crust, aubergine gateau